Registered Nurses’ Union Newfoundland & Labrador 229 Major’s Path, St. John’s, NL
Temporary Full-Time for 4 months with the possibility of extension. Closing Date: June 15, 2023
Starting Salary: $98,854
Benefits: In accordance with the NAPE Collective Agreement Local 7018
The Registered Nurses’ Union Newfoundland & Labrador (RNU) is the official trade union for 5,300 registered nurses (RNs) and nurse practitioners (NPs) in Newfoundland and Labrador. Led and inspired by our members, RNU works to protect the rights of RNs and NPs, to ensure fair and equitable working conditions, and to advocate for the delivery of high quality, publicly funded health care.
The successful incumbent is responsible to legally represent the organization or its members at court appeals or hearings or before administrative tribunals. The incumbent will be providing advice and guidance to the labour relations team for member employment issues and the administration of the applicable collective agreement to enable the organization to achieve its strategic and performance measurement objectives.
- Act as the legal representative for the union on behalf of the organization or its members at court appeals or hearings or before administrative tribunals.
- Present current legal opinions and perspectives by investigating specific concepts and conducting research.
- Provide legal advice and labour relations guidance to the labour relations employees and executive.
- Represent members, as deemed necessary, at arbitrations, employer meetings, grievance resolution meetings, formal or informal mediation sessions, worker’s compensation reviews, employment insurance appeals, professional practices committees, or other relevant circumstances.
- Provide guidance on the coordination of member requirements for specific accommodations related to human rights, worker’s compensation and/or other related employment needs.
- Represent the organization at employer, industry or labour related meetings, committees and/or boards.
- Draft and review private agreements or settlement agreements within scope of responsibility.
Experience & Skills:
- Completion of post-secondary education with a bachelor’s Law degree.
- Member of, or eligible for membership in the Law Society of NL.
- Two years experience as a legal representative at court appeals and/or hearings representing a labour or other organization.
- Five years experience interpreting and applying the terms of a collective agreement, or other union related activity; or equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Experience presenting and advocating at mediations, dispute resolution and/or hearings before administrative tribunals.
- Ability to work independently and manage relationships in a team environment.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and practise time-management techniques.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Courses completed in Alternative Dispute Resolution are desirable.
- Intermediate user of MS Office applications in a Windows based network environment; and
- Ability to travel is required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to David Hammond, Director of Corporate Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.